Position in Cryo-EM scientific computing
The Biofisika Institute in Bilbao (Basque Country in Spain) invites applications for a cryo-electron microscopy (cryo-EM) scientific computing position. Candidates must hold a PhD degree in a relevant discipline with a focus on structural biology. The Biofisika Institute is a joint research centre of the University of the Basque Country (UPV/EHU) and the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC). The centre focuses on fundamental and translational biophysics research and offers a highly collaborative culture. As part of the newly formed Basque Resource for Electron Microscopy (BREM), in 2021 the Instituto Biofisika will host a ThermoFisher´s Titan Krios G4, equipped with a phase plate and Gatan´s BioContinuum Imaging Filter and K3 direct electron detector.
- Qualifications of the successful candidate include
- Proficiency in single particle cryo-EM image processing and 3D reconstruction.
- Proficiency in cryo-electron tomography (cryo-ET) data processing.
- Fluency in at least two computing languages (C++, Matlab, CUDA, OpenCL, Python).
- Ability and willingness to run systems administration tasks in high-performance computing environments.
- Strong communication and organizational skills will also be important.
- Responsibilities of the successful candidate include
- Process single particle cryo-EM data including handling raw data, interpretation, 3D reconstruction and map refinement, and model building.
- Maintenance and development of the Dynamo package for cryo-ET, with emphasis on supporting both intramural research groups and users worldwide.
- Support high-performance computing infrastructure including management of large data storage and processing clusters.
The funding of the position is initially secured for up to two years; mid-term vision aims at offering the candidate a permanent contract. To apply, please send a curriculum vitae, three relevant publications, and the contact information for three references to Daniel Castano Diez email@example.com scientific&computing&body=Body%20Text Daniel Castano Diez and Iban Ubarretxena Belandia firstname.lastname@example.org adding the following subject Job Application: CryoEM scientific computing
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and encourage women candidates to apply. The deadline to receive applications is January 20th, 2021 at 17:00 h CET.
Daniel Castaño Díez
+41(0) 6138 73214
Biozentrum, University of Basel
Iban Ubarretxena Belandia
Instituto Biofisika (CSIC, EHU/UPV) and Fundación Biofísica Bizkaia
Ikerbasque Research Professor
Barrio Sarriena s/n, 48940 LEIOA